Tuesday, July 27

new etsy bio: my crafty story


I think if you had asked me, at any age, what the perfect job would be.. I would have said "to get to stay home and make stuff" but I really always thought this was the ideal life dream for everyone, so I wrote it off. I figured out eventually that this is not what everyone wanted to do. It was my dream.

The mission I'm on to support myself creatively has been brewing a long time and I never really put it all together until now. The first money I can remember making as a youngster was from entering crafts and artwork into the county fair. They gave out some money for the ribbons you earned, and little me cashed in. That was my first taste.

Then the internet happened. ebay appeared and I spent time sewing patchwork hippie pants and reconstructed shirts and loving the feeling of getting paid to create. Around 2000 I learned how to screen print and started a website to sell my tshirt designs and I tried very hard to make it work, but eventually gave up and went back to work for the man.

At some point, I think I let my creativity fade away. They say if you don't use it, you lose it, and I think that's what happened. It was just gone, and I was worried that it might be gone forever. Then a thing called etsy came into my life and everything came rushing back. My eyes were opened to a world that, with a lot of hard work, could make my dream a reality. Since then I've been taken over by a drive and determination that I didn't know I had inside of me. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I have goals for the first time, and the resources and passion to finally achieve them.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! That's so good to hear...I hope you reach all your goals <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. best photo ever to go with your dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, that's so inspiring :) hope your creative dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing your story! it's very inspirational (just because youre only in the begining doesn't mean it can't motivate someone). i wish you the best of luck.... but you don't really need luck at all... you've got 'it'.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!