Tuesday, November 2

Bedroom Renovation: Step One

It's that time again.. time to start tearing our house apart in preparation for a freshly remodeled master bedroom and bathroom! I can't tell you how excited I am about this project. It's only been on my mind since we moved here about 5 years ago. Now that it's time to start actually making design decisions, it's very overwhelming, but I'll save that for another post.

Step one is to gut the bedroom. Walls are gone, ceiling is gone.. the wood floor that was hiding underneath is the only thing that's staying put. That process looked like this:




Throughout any renovation project we're always careful to watch for any hidden treasures, and this time around Bradley found a bank deposit ticket from 1907, two records under the floor, some old Top Value trading stamps, a Sherwin-Williams paint tag, and one of the more exciting finds was a tag on the back of one of the rosette trim pieces. We've never been able to find out anything about who built the house, and I always want to know where the materials came from, and this helps a little bit. It reads "D.J. Doughty, Farmington" so we looked him up on an old census and it said he was a carpenter. Doesn't mean he built the house, but at least he ordered the trim, and that's something we didn't know before! 

The next step was to haul off a huge trailer full of the bedrooms innards, which was oh so glamorous! I'm happy that part is finished, and now we get to start the fun stuff. I'll keep you posted!


5 comments:

  1. So cool to find all of those hidden treasures!
    Have fun remodeling, love to see photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun renovating! It seems to be the time of year for it - I know a few people who are giving their houses makeovers. I love that you found old records under the floor =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting! And to find such cool little treasures in the walls and floors.What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great finds! I hope when I buy my first house that there will be things hidden in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really cool on more hints to your house's story

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!