Thursday, March 31

Block Busted

These photos show you what my Blockbuster looks like right now. It's starting to resemble a yardsale more than an actual place of business, with every supply or random thing we can find thrown on to a table with a price tag. Seriously, everything must go.. and it's pretty much went. It is surreal watching everything disappear so fast every day. Cleaning out all the cabinets and throwing away everything that used to be part of normal daily life feels weird, but honestly it is something I've been dreaming about doing for years. The hardest part for me has been adjusting to chaos mode. My job has always been to keep things clean and organized and running smoothly, and that's so far gone at this point. The anal straightener in me is going nuts at the disarray, and it's hard to get my brain to understand that it's okay.

We're down to the last 10 days now. It's sad, or at least bittersweet to a lot of people, but for me it's mostly sweet, only because I've had a back up plan brewing for years now. Granted, it's the craziest change in my life probably ever, but I'm excited for it. I am feeling for everyone else though. So many people in stores across the country losing their jobs, and communities losing a place that they enjoy coming to. People have been seeing it as a sign of the times, like the bad economy is to blame, but the real blame is on the greedy, poorly run company in a dying industry who refused to look forward into the future and make changes accordingly.  I wish I could say I was surprised by any of this, but it's been a long time coming.

This place gave me countless new friendships, my husband, and a decade of free movie rentals, but I'm more than ready to lock up those doors for the last time and move on.




3 comments:

  1. ours recently closed as well. we bought up a bunch of movie cards and stuff from favorite movies...

    wishing you the best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope somebody found the little turd I left in a ziplock bag in the foreign films section on my last day at work and sold it for a pretty penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah, except no one in a Blockbuster goes anywhere near the foreign section!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!