Wednesday, March 9

Notes to Self

I didn't quit my day job, but my day job is quitting me. In one month, the doors to the Blockbuster store that I've worked at forever will be closed for good, and I will become self-employed! My plan is to use my Etsy shops as my main source of income, along with selling my photography and crafts at some places around town, and doing any craft show I can find. I have confidence that I can make it work, but it's going to take a lot of self discipline, and a total change in routine. For so long I've thought "Oh, if I had the chance.. I'd start taking this and this more seriously, and start doing that better" but now the time is actually here! No more talking, time to start doing.

With that said, I felt the need to make a list of things for future self-employed me to remember from what I've learned so far.

Print by Vol25
1. No more sleeping as late as you want. We have work to do. End of discussion!

2. Get dressed like you might actually see another person. After 12 years in khaki pants and a polo shirt, revel in the fact that you can work in regular clothes! This doesn't mean you can't ever take advantage of being able to work in your pj's, but lets not make a habit of it, okay?

3. Never underestimate how much better you feel when you're clean and freshly showered. You'd never go to regular work unclean, with unbrushed teeth and messy hair. This is basic hygiene, and I'm embarrassed that we even have to go over this one.

4. Make time for friends and family, especially since you wont have coworkers to talk to anymore. Through the week you can hold as many conversations with your cats as you want, but come the weekend.. some social interaction is required.

5. At regular work, your workspace is always annoyingly clean and organized, so why does this not apply at home? This must improve immediately!

6. Times are gonna be tighter now, so cut down on the $4 lattes, okay? I know it will be hard, but it must be done.

7. To do lists and schedules are your friend. You wont be able to do it without them.

NOW GET TO WORK!

13 comments:

  1. Wow. How exciting (and maybe a little scary) that you'll be going fulltime! I love your list by the way. I often have to remind myself that talking to the cat and dog is not exactly real socializing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! You have such wonderful shops on Etsy I think this is a great opportunity for you. It's really nice that you're looking at losing your job as a benefit not as something to bring you down. You're list is so great. Being a stay at home mom I know how important it is to get out and talk to actual people! Make sure you make time for the ones you care about as well as your business. I think you headed on a great path and I wish you the best of luck!!!

    <3kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post! It takes real discipline to work from home and it sounds like you're on the right track! I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. exciting times are ahead for you! how fun! and your rules are really good. i need to apply them to my day to day life too as a stay at home mom, esp the getting dressed and showered! its embarrassing to admit i spend a lot of days in my pjs... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great list! I love your humor. :) While I'm sorry your job is quitting you, I'm really excited for you! I hope you thoroughly enjoy this new opportunity as a self-employed artist. I'm sure you can be a much better boss than Blockbuster any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although it's sad that that job is ending this will be such a great step, I am jealous!! You definitely have the talent to make it work.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very exciting! Both your shops seem very successful. I love your list. Number one seems like a very difficult one, but it's probably because I stay up until at least 2 AM. Good luck with your business!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great ideas! wishing you luck and many sales :)
    to do lists help me a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I can totally help with some of this stuff! Well not the whole hygiene thing. Not because I wouldn't help you bathe but rather because I suffer from that illness myself. Considering the many mornings I have listened to your alarm clock go off for unspeakable lengths of time, I will be happy to call you bright & early (repeatedly if needed) and wake you up! -jojo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting for you! I loved your list, it was like you were talking to me...lol. I have the same problems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post so much!! I was just let go from my full time job this week and have been contemplating where to go from here. I'm not quite to the point where I could rely only on my etsy shop, but most weeks I'm fairly close. I'm trying to decide whether the best option is to find another full time job, or get a part time job doing something really fun and try to make it work by giving me more time to work on my etsy shop & marketing it....It's so stressful, but at the same time so exhilarating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support!! It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!