Tuesday, August 7

If you want it, work hard.

I've passed the 1 year mark of working for myself, and I can't begin to tell you all the things I've learned through this experience, but it took me a while to learn the most obvious of lessons: that working hard really does pay off. Since it's my first year, I've still been adjusting to the cycle of things. I hadn't quite learned when my slow times would be, and when business would be booming, but I can tell you I found out pretty quickly that summer meant slow sales. On etsy, locally, everywhere. Things got a little scary without a steady paycheck to rely on, and I saw myself facing a reality that I did not want to accept. I was beginning to think that maybe it couldn't be done, and I'd need to find a "real job". My goal has always been to work for myself doing things that I love to do, and going back to the grind felt like I was failing, like I was giving up on my dream. I felt low. To have finally made it out, and to have to go back.. it was a heartbreaking thought.

My husband suggested that I try out having a booth at a local antique mall. It sounded great, but risky since I'd have to sink money into something that I wasn't sure if it would pay off. He's a very calculated risk taker, so I figured if he thought it might work, then I should at least try it. We went to our first auction together to get stuff to fill my booth, and I'm pretty sure that decision is going to have a gigantic impact on my life. I've been hooked on auctioning ever since, and I've been working really hard on all fronts. Before this scare, I was working, but not at 100%. Once I saw my dream on the brink, it scared me into action and I've been busting ass ever since. And guess what, my hard work is paying off. Imagine that! The antique booth has been successful, and it led to opening a second etsy shop to sell my vintage finds. Just this month I finally earned about the same amount as a paycheck at my old job, and I will tell you that it felt fucking awesome. Can I keep it up? We will see. I sure as hell plan to try.

I want to be an example that shows others who are trying to make it, that it might not be easy, but it is possible! So, your house might never get cleaned and you don't have much time for friends, family and fun stuff.. but you have to make sacrifices for your dream job.

I owe a lot to Bradley, the world's hardest working husband, for showing me what it really looks like to work. He has taught me so much about the importance of taking pride in your work and doing things the right way. Without him as my role model, it would have taken me a lot longer to learn that you really do get out of something what you put into it. Turms out all those cheesy cliches are onto something.


9 comments:

  1. Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm so thrilled to know that you're happy and that your business is succeeding! Out of curiosity, is the image here one that you took of something available in your shop? I love the colors (teal and red are one of my favorite combinations), and the message is great. Congratulations, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Melissa! I found that image on Pinterest, and couldn't track it back to it's original source to give credit! I love it too, and would like to know where it came from as well. I'll let you know if I find out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad that this first year has been successful for you! you are so inspirational - it's awesome to see you working so hard and seeing the fruit of all your labors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lora and Andrea! Apparently the more passionate I am about what I'm writing, the more cursing I do :) Eh, it's pretty true to life that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post. I love how honest you are about your first year of working for yourself. Thank you for sharing your success and struggles. You constantly inspire me, even though I tend to be pretty lazy :P congratulations!! Stay awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Kat! I appreicate the support and encouraging words! And I swear If I can overcome a lifetime of laziness, anyone can :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your website.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems?
    A few of my blog readers have complained about my site not
    working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

    my webpage ... acute back pain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somebody essentially assist to make severely articles I would state.
    This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far?
    I surprised with the research you made to make this actual post
    incredible. Magnificent activity!

    My page: arthritis care

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!